Masonry consists of building structures by laying individual masonry units (brick, concrete block, stone, etc). Normally the masonry units are laid with cement mortar, which binds them together to create a structure. Masonry construction can provide beautiful walls and floors at economical prices. Due to the individual masonry units, masonry construction tends to be quite labor intensive. Because of the cement, clay or stone nature of the masonry materials, masonry construction tends to be durable and often requires little maintenance.
Our Masonry team is highly skilled and experienced in providing Masonry applications. Masonry must be installed properly to avoid damage and safety risks through the life of the structure. When considering the use of masonry or other applications, here are a few things to keep in mind.
· The use of material such as bricks and stones can increase the thermal mass of a building.
· Masonry is a non-combustible product and can protect the building from fire.
· Masonry walls are more resistant to projectiles, such as debris from hurricanes or tornadoes.
· Masonry tends to be heavy and must be built upon a strong foundation, such as reinforced concrete, to avoid settling and cracking.
· Other than concrete, masonry construction does not lend itself well to mechanization, and requires more skilled labor than stick-framing.
· Masonry consists of loose components and has a low tolerance to oscillation as compared to other materials such as reinforced concrete, plastics, wood, or metals.
Masonry has high compressive strength under vertical loads but has low tensile strength (against twisting or stretching) unless reinforced. The tensile strength of masonry walls can be increased by thickening the wall, or by building masonry piers (vertical columns or ribs) at intervals. Where practical, steel reinforcements such as windposts can be added.
Masonry is a very specialized field and requires a high level of understanding and experience to execute properly. We provide free estimates and work with top Engineers to make sure all applications are completed as per building codes.
There are plenty of advantages for using stucco on a home. For example, it’s very versatile and cost effective. Stucco, in most cases, is very long lasting and extremely durable, which is why it’s such a popular option for many. Additionally, stucco is versatile enough that it can be somewhat customized. It can be applied smooth, rough or patterned. You can also add stones or other decorative features to it for a more customized look. Another great feature of stucco is that you can add color to the mixture to create any type of look you want. Or, if you prefer, you could select an acrylic finish. Stucco is very affordable and is virtually maintenance-free. And cement based stucco resists fungus, rot and is insect resistant.
If you already own one of these stucco homes, pay attention to its maintenance needs to get the most from this exterior. Give us a call and we can assist with making sure your home exterior is properly cared for. The following are common areas of concern when dealing with Stucco Maintenance.
• Foundation settling. Take steps to reduce soil movement. By installing good guttering and downspouts, and by grading your yard to slope away from the foundation, you’ll limit soil saturation and lessen the risk of foundation movement.
• Remove Dirt, Debris and Mold that collects on stucco by having a professional come to Pressure Wash the exterior with a low-pressure system. Cleaning with a high-pressure washer is not recommended, as it can damage the surface, so hiring a professional such as Alden Contracting & Services is crucial.
• Efflorescence, a white stain that can develop on stucco exposed to prolonged moisture, can be removed by spraying with eco-friendly chemicals. Allow a professional to inspect to make sure that there are not more serious issues happening.
• Keep in mind that most stucco in Florida is painted and should be due to extreme levels of moisture. Paint must be maintained to make sure that the stucco is not becoming over-saturated and allowing water to penetrate the building. We provide free inspections and reports to Property Manager/Owners to help set up a maintenance plan.